Acne is an inflammatory skin condition that causes spots and pimples, especially on the face, shoulders, back, neck, chest, and upper arms.
- It is a skin condition involving the inflammation of oil secreting glands at the base of hair follicles.
- There is around 80 percent affected at the onset of puberty upto 30 years
- It is not dangerous, but it can leave skin marks and scars.
- Treatment depends on how severe and persistent it is.
- It can occur due to genetics, irregular menstrual cycle(hormonal imbalance), anxiety and stress, hot and humid climates, using oil-based makeup, and high carbohydrate and dairy diet
Acne can’t be prevented or cured, but can be effectively treated. Pimples heal slowly and one heals another seems to crop up. Severe acne can be emotionally distressing and scar the skin .
The glands produce an oily liquid called sebum. The sebum carries dead skin cells through the follicles to the surface of the skin. Pimples occur when these glands get blocked.
A range of factors triggers acne, but the main cause is thought to be a rise in androgen levels. Rising androgen levels cause the oil secreting glands to enlarge and produce more sebum
Acne or pimples typically occur on the face ,chest or upper back . The following types are possible:
- Whiteheads: These are sebum/keratin filled and remain under the skin and are small
- Blackheads: Clearly visible, they are black and appear on the surface of the skin
- Papules: Small, usually pink bumps, these are visible on the surface of the skin
- Pustules: Clearly visible on the surface of the skin. They are red at their base and have pus at the top
- Nodules: They are large, solid, painful pimples that are embedded deep in the skin
- Cysts: They are painful lumps. Cysts can cause scars.
What are the symptoms of acne?
It most commonly develops on your face, back, neck, chest, and shoulders. Both blackheads and whiteheads are known as open and closed comedones respectively.
While whiteheads and blackheads are the most common lesions seen in acne, other types can also occur. Inflammatory lesions (papules,pustules,nodules and cysts)are more likely to cause scarring of your skin.
What causes acne?
Acne can be multifactorial. It can be caused due
- Premenstrual flare
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excessive sebum secretion
- Certain medication
- Fatty Diet
How is Acne Treated ?
Acne can cause marks and scars so it is important to treat acne effectively to prevent acne marks and scars.
Your dermatologist will prescribe you certain creams and medications after examining the severity of your acne and coexisting conditions .procedures like chemical peels ,lasers and hydrafacial to control your acne.
Tips for Preventing Acne Flare
- Use a face wash which contains ingredients like salicylic acid ,glycolic acid
- Don’t prick the acne
- Use non comedogenic makeup
- Make sure you clean the makeup on the face before bedtime.
Dermatologists are medical professionals who specialise in treating skin and hair disorders. While supporting cosmetic procedures, they also help patients rejuvenate their skin and revitalize the hair etc.
Dr Sinduri Reddy, who is a dermatologist and has ten years of experience in this field. You can contact her for the solutions for your skin symptoms and problems.