Nail surgery is a simple outpatient procedure done for diagnostic or as treatment for nail conditions.
What are the Nail conditions in which nail surgery is done?
- Drainage of abscess
- Removal of foreign bodies
- Nail biopsy
- Tumour under the nail
- Periungual wart
- Ingrown toenail
- Trauma or injury
- Fungal infection
- Deformed nails from birth
What are types of the nail avulsions done ?
- Nail avulsions can be
- Partial Nail avulsion
- Complete Nail avulsion
When is Nail biopsy and nail Avulsion done?
Nail biopsy is done for diagnosis of the majority of nail disorders and nail avulsion is done as a part of treatment and diagnosis of various nail conditions.
What care is to be taken post nail surgery?
- Post procedure a pressure bandage is applied to stop bleeding .
- Elevation and splinting of fingers for 1-2 days post procedure reduces pain and swelling
- Dressing is changed after 48 hrs and then after one week.for few nail surgeries daily dressing is recommended.
- Appropriate antibiotics and analgesics are given for 5to 7 days.